Friday, October 19, 2007

Unraveling

Some have noticed that this blog site has been uncharacteristically silent for the past two and a half weeks (BTW, thanks for checking on me, B.D.). I've been in kind of a funk emotionally, and swamped with demands on my time, but who's not these days?

I have had time to get informed about Christian Nudists, as our friends over at Mr. Beale's Epiphany hosted a lively and informative discussion a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a convert, but had never heard of this before and find the whole "movement" interesting. I uncovered a new segment of the Christian sub-culture in America that I heretofore never knew existed.

My biggest problem is I've been reading Brian Mclaren again, which is always a dangerous endeavor for me. Things are beginning to unravel, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I blame my friend Tom. He warned me it would happen if I kept chasing some of my thoughts and ideas to their logical conclusions.

I guess for the past several month I've been going through a(nother) mid-life crisis. A new crisis of faith, or sorts. Or just the continuation of one that's been going on for the past twenty-seven years. I've been disastrous with relationships (which is not a good thing for a pastor), too frequently silent and/or absent during much of the past ten months.

Questioning everything. Sifting. Holding on the old treasures and tossing aside things proven to be no longer useful. Some "truths" lose their luster as time goes on. Real truth become more precious with the passing of time. When we do something for a long time we delude ourselves into thinking that's the only (or best) way to do it.

My blog on October 1, "The Glory of the Longing Heart" quotes the lyrics of a song by John Fischer. That is an apt description of where I've been most of 2007, but sometimes it feels far less than "glorious". I've been undertaking an outward makeover since my birthday, more out of necessity (make changes or die, literally) than vanity. All the while God has been undertaking an inward makeover of sorts. Destroying old assumptions and long-held, but misguided, "certainties."

Lately I have found spiritual resonance with King David of Israel who lived nearly 3,000 years ago:

"I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live." Psalms 116:1-2 (NIV)

I like to pray it back to God in present tense: "I love you, Lord, for You hear my voice; You hear my cry for mercy. Because You turn Your ear to me, I will call on You as long as I live." Amen.

7 comments:

Brian said...

It is so good to hear from you again. I have been quite worried, because you've been much too quiet over the last several days.

It sounds like you've had alot on your mind. I can relate to some of what you're going through, but since I'm not responsible for a congregation, I'm sure your spiritual "awakenings" have more of an impact on your daily life.

I read most of your post to my partner and my voice started breaking on the verse from Psalms. Such beauty and what poetry.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Peace to you, my brother.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Enjoy the mid life crisis...in need of a nice snazzy new car? :) Seriously, I don't know much about much, but I think soul searching is never a bad thing.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Brian and Caroline:

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

Brain, don't worry, it's all good.

Caroline, if you're offering me a snazzy new car I might consider accepting it, but if you're suggesting I go buy one... well, I think I just stick with what I've got :)

You're right...soul searching is never a bad thing. It's just that I know when I change behavior to match up with new beliefs it's going to have a ripple effect in a lot of lives...oh well,

Shake it up!

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Thanks for engaging in the Christian nudism converation at mr. beale's, it was a pretty good time! Who knew, right?

And welcome back to the blogosphere.

I see that we both have been uncomfortably (and happily) shaken up by Brian McLaren. I hope you find that journey to be a fulfilling one. What from him have you been reading lately?

Have a great day!

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Clint,

I'm currently re-reading "The Secret Message of Jesus" with a group of guys I meet with on Thursday mornings. That one, and "A Generous Orthodoxy" have done a lot to challenge my thinking lately.

JimT

Anonymous said...

I'd say any pastor who's willing to confess to a time of question-asking and assumption-testing is one I'd be willing to trust, respect, and model my own journey after.

I'm cheering you on and trusting in God's spirit at work in you.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Thanks, Karen!

JimT