Monday, October 22, 2007

The Advocate

In yesterday’s post I included a prayer, part of which read: “Father...forgive me for setting myself up as Judge, rather than seeing myself as one in need of a good Defense Attorney. Amen."

In need of a good Defense Attorney; that’s me. That’s you, too. That’s all of us as we stand before a Holy God.

The ancient scriptures tell us "we will all stand before God's judgment seat. It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another."
Romans 14:10-13 (NIV)

I picture the scene, God sitting as Judge, the Prosecutor, bringing up every bad thought and wicked deed we’ve ever committed; or good deed we could have done, but failed to do.

Many of the ancients believe in an Enemy (the devil, Satan) and the Bible describes him as "the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night..."
Revelation 12:10 (NIV)

There we sit: guilty, scared, hopeless. And then, in walks our Defense Attorney, the Judge’s son, Jesus.

"My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate, one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One; and He Himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world." 1 John 2:1-2

That is amazing! Even if we are found "guilty as charged", our Defense Attorney has already served our sentence, paying the price for our sins, and not only for "christians", for for the sins of the whole world!!

The word 'gospel' means "Good News". I am convinced that the Christian message of forgiveness and reconciliation is Good News for everyone, not just Christians.

In Isaiah 44:22, God declares, "Return to me, for I have paid the price for your freedom. Come on home, you are already forgiven!" That is good news indeed!

No comments: