Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lifestyle Makeover: Day 100

On June 10, Father's Day, I had to come to grips with reality. Physically a mess, due to neglect and a sedentary lifestyle, the wake call came when I threw out my back.

Nearing my 46th birthday, carrying nearly 270 pounds on a 5 foot, 11 inch frame, no exercise and a fast food diet; it was a toxic combination which was taking a deadly toll.

Today, September 18th, day 100 of a new lifestyle, the scales this morning read 221 pounds--nearly 50 pounds shed in 100 days! The blood pressure has dropped from 180 over 100, to 110 over 70.

Four Key Factors are helping to make the difference:

1. Prayer: for me, the poor diet and deteriorating health was not just a physical issue, but spiritual and emotional as well. I had to get in touch with what made me anxious and full of stress, what triggered my heading to the fridge or snack box. I am learning how to find comfort from God and not Little Debbie.

2. The Food Choices Completely Changed: "if it's white, don't bite", was the advice of another of my doctor's patients. In place of things made with flour and sugar; fresh fruits, high protein and low carbohydrate items became the order of the day. Water replaced sodas. The advice to "feast like a king at breakfast, dine like a queen at lunch, and eat like a pauper at suppertime" became very helpful. There is no deprivation, meals are filling, nutritious and delicious. Cutting off all food and drink 2-3 hours before bedtime is becoming a new habit. I am learning to eat the right amount of the right thing at the right time.

3. Food and Exercise Journal: I write down everything I eat and drink every single day, along with time and distance walked. I am learning where the "weak spots" are in my daily routine, changing the patterns at the points of weakness.

4. Walking: only able to go about half a mile at the beginning, now the rountine is 4 to 5 miles before breakfast every morning, not increasing the distance, but trying to shorten the time each day. These pre-dawn excursions are also the best time to focus on the first factor, prayer. At the end of the walk my mind is clear and focused, new ideas and insights have often been birthed, and the "furnace" is ready to burn up the calories with which I fuel my body. I am learning to take care of my body, mind and spirit in new and invigorating ways.

Nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels!

As my friend Brian says, "I'm not together, but I'm getting there"; with God's help, and my wife's encouragement, I'm getting there.

3 comments:

Brian said...

WOW!! That is simply amazing that you've lost that amount of weight in such a short time!

You hit on several important points in this article. I do think prayer can play a much larger role in mental and physical health than most people can imagine. The journal sounds like a wonderful idea, and you simply can't go wrong with exercise (especially walking). It's both therapeutic and physically beneficial.

My diet is beyond terrible. I'm only around 165 lbs and 5'10", but I eat junk food all the time. Fast food restaurants and snack machines furnish the bulk of my diet. I can't help but believe that has been the main contributor to my health problems over the last year.

I had my cholesterol checked a couple of years ago and it was really high. I took medicine for a while, but dropped it after another doctor told me that I was too young to be on cholesterol medication and that I should diet and exercise instead. I, of course, did neither.

I just had my blood drawn this morning for another check on it and started my day with a bottle of water and some low-fat cereal bars with real fruit filling. We're also going to try to start walking everyday.

Congratulations on a healthier lifestyle and thanks for the inspiration!

Your friend,
Brian

Anonymous said...

WAY. TO. GO!!!!!!!!!

That is an AWESOME story...wonderful to hear. I bet your docs LOVE you. Congratulations and here's to another 100!!

My eating habits also leave something to be desired but I have found that making large changes immediatly never works. It's a ton of tiny, "better" decisions that helps me eat healthier. I'm totally a work in progress.

CONGRATULATIONS!

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Brian and Caroline;

thanks for the good vibes and encouragement. My doc is cool, she gives me Mardi Gras beads when I make progress...and I don't have to flash my chest :)

Walking makes the biggest difference--I dread getting out of bed and hitting the road every morning, but once I'm out there and get going I don't want to stop.

"A ton on tiny "better" decisions--absolutely right. We make progress one choice at a time.

JimT