Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Feb. 20: What's in your hand?

A basketball in my hand isn't worth much. But put that same ball in Mr. James' hands and it becomes worth millions. A golf club in my hand isn't worth much--unless you count laughs and entertainment value (I shoot about120...just on the front nine. Uggghh), but put that club in Tiger's hands and it becomes invaluable.

The value of something can often be determined my the hand holding it. When Moses stood before the burning bush God asked him, "What's in your hand, Moses?". It was just a staff; a stick used for herding and protecting sheep--not worth much. When Moses gave that staff to God--made himself and his possessions available for God to use--it became priceless. Moses dipped the end of that staff into the Nile River and the water turned to blood. Moses lifted that same staff before the Red Sea, the waters parted and the Hebrew nation walked to safety on dry ground.

Hear God asking you today, "What's in your hand?". Will you make yourself and the object in your hand available for God's service? Perhands it is a computer keyboard that lies beneath your fingers: imagine how God could use it to send out His message. Perhaps it is a PDA, a steering wheel, a telephone, a diaper, a ladle, or a scalpel--how can God use what's in your hand for His glory?

Will you let Him have it? Will you ask Him to impress upon your mind creative kingdom uses for the common, mundane things to which you put your hand today?

~ Father God, I give you all that I hold. There are some things I hold to too tightly. I give them to you today. Take the ordinary things I use each day and use them to get glory for yourself. Amen.

No comments: