Sunday, February 25, 2007

Feb. 25: Soul Food

How does your soul get fed?

In the middle of a hot day spent walking for miles, Jesus' disciples encouraged Him to get something to eat. He responded, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about." (He had just had an incredible conversation that changed a woman's life and was about to see an entire village accept Him as the Messiah.) His disciples wondered if someone had already brought him some food. "My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work." (John 4:31-34)

What fed Jesus' soul? Two things:
* doing God's will, and
* finishing God's assigned task for him.

What feeds your soul?
¨ Encouragement? Someone has said that, "encouragement is oxygen for the soul."
¨ Appreciation? It "makes my day" to hear someone express gratitude for my contribution.
¨ Acceptance? How wonderful it feels to have someone "get you".
¨ Invitation? How great it feels to be included on the guest list for "the event of the century"
¨ Satisfaction of a job well done—completion of a difficult task?
¨ Making your father (mother, spouse, children) proud of you?

We can experience all of those things when we follow Jesus and join Him in His mission. How cool is it to know you are accepted by God? As Max Lucado once wrote, "There is nothing you can do to make God love you any more than He does; and there is nothing you can do to make Him love you any less. God is crazy about you, period."

How wonderful is it to have God's encouragement and to know He is proud of you? The greatest thing in the world is to be invited to tag along on His grand adventure. Jesus used the words of the prophet Isaiah to describe His mission: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." (Luke 4:17-19)

Once we come to understand that He forgives us and accepts us, we begin to live in the freedom, joy, peace, grace and LIFE that only Jesus can offer! Then we get to join Him in helping others experience His acceptance and finding new life.

~ Father, thank you for feeding my soul, for accepting me and giving me LIFE. There's nothing greater than seeing someone find freedom and life in You! Thank you for letting me join You in Your mission. Thank You for letting me be Your messenger boy. Amen.

No comments: