Monday, November 26, 2007

Tagged!

I was on vacation all of last week: Kayaking, hiking in the mountains, swimming and relaxing in the hot tub at night--it was heaven on earth. A week without cell phone or internet--at first I had withdrawals, but after a couple of days got used to being "unplugged". We had a blast!

So, I get back home and check my e-mail and some of my favorite blogs and find out I've been "tagged". So now I have to share 7 unknown (little known) tidbits about myself and tag seven others to play along. So here goes...
  1. 2007 has been one of the "lowest" years of my life. I have battled depression most of this year and have really struggled at times just to maintain whatever level of sanity I usually enjoy.
  2. Ironically, in light of #1, during this year I have felt as close to God, or closer, than at any other time in my life.
  3. I am still "grieving" my daughter's going to college--I miss her so much and there is an "emptiness" in my life without seeing her everyday (which probably has played a bigger role in #1 than I realize).
  4. I don't have any friends that have blogs (other than Brian (who tagged me), and the others he tagged).
  5. I hate, despise and detest much of organized religion. Which is perhaps ironic coming from a pastor, but then I read the gospels and the stories of Jesus' reaction to organized religion and I think maybe I'm in pretty good company.
  6. I enjoy cleaning the toilets--one of the few areas in my life where I see immediate and positive results.
  7. I LOVE to cook.
  8. (Bonus factoid, just for fun) I was born in Arkansas.
So there is my list...for now.

So just sitting here wondering how well people really know each other--even the people with whom we work and with whom we spend most of our days. I'm wondering how well most of us really know ourselves. If you're reading this I hope you know (or soon come to know) that there is a God and he knows you, and he's crazy about you.

Peace.
JimT

7 comments:

Brian said...

What a wonderful, brave, and honest list!

#5 is very courageous, but not surprising.

#6 is hilarious! I hate cleaning toilets, but I think I'll remember your reason for liking it every time I clean one in the future.

Glad you had a great vacation!!

Anonymous said...

I find #5 very intersting, and #6 VERY strange. Want to come over to my house? Although I admit that I prefer to vacuum when the floor is REALLY dirty because I like to see the dirt go away immediately...ok, I get it! :)

My list is forthcoming...

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

inrepair,
Thanks for tagging me and for the kind words of encouragement.

Caroline,
Can't wait to see your list!

Thank you both for stopping by!
JimT

Unknown said...

On the ark of Hope.....

"Former Soviet Premier and President of the International Green Cross, Mikhail Gorbachev, who also co-chairs the Earth Charter Commission, is quoted as saying, "Do not do unto the environment of others what you do not want done to your own environment....My hope is that this charter will be a kind of Ten Commandments, a 'Sermon on the Mount', that provides a guide for human behavior toward the environment in the next century.”

"Maurice Strong, a founding co-chairman of the Earth Charter Commission and advisor to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan concurred, “The real goal of the Earth Charter is that it will in fact become like the Ten Commandments.”

Dai Ning Li said...

"I don't have any friends that have blogs (other than Brian (who tagged me)"...I am blessed to read your articles. Now you just have one added friend =)

Anonymous said...

Love you brother, and am enjoying walking the journey alongside you!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm Johnny come lately to this article...

I can hear ya on #1 loud and clear!

#5 AMEN AMEN AMEN!

#6 ME TOO! Or shining the sink. Ahhhh instant gratification.

I love it when someone tells me that God is crazy about me. I need to use that phrase more often in my every day life. LOVE IT!!!

You rock Pastor Jim.