Monday, August 13, 2007

August 14: Is God All-powerful?

I grew up in church, but in my mid-teens had a crisis of faith. I had a lot of questions. I was not allowed to ask them in church. I didn’t find satisfactory answers and every reply raised ten new questions. I was asked to stop asking my questions.

The biggest hurdle for me in coming to faith was, "If there is a God, how can he be all-powerful and all-loving?" It seemed that if he were both that he would stop all the suffering in the world. If he were powerful enough to stop the suffering and didn't then he wasn't very loving. If he loved everyone and wanted to end the suffering, and yet couldn't, then he was weak. I was left with the prospect of following a God who was either mean or weak, or both.

The Bible asserts that God has made himself known through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures (Romans 1:2), through created, natural order...
"... since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:19-20)

The Prophet Jeremiah expounded on God's attributes:
"Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. 18 You show love to thousands but bring the punishment for the fathers' sins into the laps of their children after them. O great and powerful God, whose name is the LORD Almighty, 19 great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to all the ways of men; you reward everyone according to his conduct and as his deeds deserve." (Jeremiah 32:17-19)

Then I read the book of Job in the Bible. Job had lots of questions for God, like I did. For 37 chapters Job and his friends try to make sense of things and figure God out. Finally, in chapters 38-41, God shows up and speaks to Job. When he concludes Job still does not have the answers to his questions, but he does have a new understanding and perspective on how awesome God reaally is.

Then Job replied to the LORD: "I know that you can do all things (all powerful); no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. "You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:1-6)

God has demonstrated his power through Creation (Genesis 1-2), The Flood (Genesis 6), The Exodus (10 Plagues and Red Sea Crossing, Exodus 7-11, 14), The Miracles of Jesus and the Resurrection of Jesus (see the Gospels), The Acts of the Holy Spirit through the Apostles...

The list goes on. Even today we hear of modern medical stories that leave the doctors scratching their heads and without logical explanation as to what has happened. My friend Cheryl's X-ray show a tumor in her abdomen. She called friends and enlisted them to pray for her healing. When the surgeons operated there was no sign of a tumor...and no explanation as to how it had disappeared! We hear stories like these on a fairly regular basis.

There is nothing that God cannot do! The dilemma and the difficulty is why sometimes God seems to demonstrate his power and at other times remain unmoved and silent. I don't know why. I'm like Job, I know God can do all things but I cannot explain God. But I have seen over and over again His love demonstrated and His provision supplied in my own life. I know that God is real and that God loves me. I've learned over the years to trust His heart even when I cannot see His hand at work.

~ Father, thank you for demonstrating that there is nothing you cannot do. Help me to trust you even when I do not understand you ways. Amen.

2 comments:

Brian said...

"I was asked to stop asking my questions."

That is so sad. Karen has always welcomed our questions, reassuring us that we never have to believe anything that makes us uncomfortable. I wish more churches/pastors took that approach.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

inrepair,

God has a way of pursuing us even when others throw up roadblocks. You are very blessed to have Karen in your life. God put her there to help you find the truth. You should be very grateful for a church that not only allows people to raise questions, but even encouarages it. I, too, wish more churches and pastors took that approach.

Thanks for your comments.

PJT