Saturday, August 11, 2007

August 11: Life's White Water

So I'm still thinking about my Mom and a tribe of sassy seniors headed down the Nenana River in Alaska in a rubber boat. Most of my kayaking is done on flat water, although we've done a few river runs with class 4 rapids. But I've yet to do a white water rafting trip. One day...

Anyway, just thinking this morning about how much of life is like that. At times things are smooth and calm, easily moving along with time to reflect. Then there are times
when life hits the rough water and you hang on for dear life; paddling like crazy and praying like never before. When it's all over and the crisis has passed you count to make sure everyone is still in the boat and that you didn't lose anyone along the way.

When you head into those crisis moments of life, do you ever wonder where God is? Or wonder if God is real? Or wonder if anyone is listening when you pray?

For those who live by faith, who trust in God, He proves Himself to be real and ever-present. Listen to the ancient promise to the Israelites. I believe the promise holds to anyone (or group) who believe and trust in the LORD.

But now, this is what the LORD says-- he who created you, he who formed you: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One, your Savior; you are precious and honored in my sight, and I love you." (Isaiah 43:1-4)

I encourage you not to wait until you find yourself in the white water of life, engulfed by circumstances that threaten to do you in, or take you out. Establish a relationship with your Creator now by believing and trusting in Him. By bcoming accustomed to believing Him and conversing with Him in the calm waters, it makes it easier and more natural to call on Him when you're in over your head.

~ Father, thank you for your promise that when the bottom falls out you are still with me. Strengthen my faith today, help me to trust your heart even when I cannot see your hand. Amen.




No comments: