Saturday, December 6, 2008

Roll (over) Tide!

Having grown up in Mobile, Alabama I've been a University of Alabama football fan most of my life. Also, having grown up on the coast, I understand the "Crimson Tide" reference; but no, I still don't know why we have an elephant as a mascot. Anyway, my #1 ranked team fell to Southeast Conference rival Florida today.

No I'm not sad; it's just a game. In the spirit of good sportsmanship I offer this congratulatory post to all my friends in Gator-nation. Good job, and good luck. I'll be pulling for the Gators to win the big bowl game and finish the season at #1. That way at least I can say my team only lost one game all season, and only one team was better than "we" were -- this year. Wait 'til next year! Roll Tide!!

PS: No I'm not sad; it's just a game. Slave trafficking makes me sad--and angry. Innocent and defenseless children being abused makes me sad and angry. Lost football games don't make me sad. Half the teams that played this weekend were "losers" -- it's just a game.

1 comment:

Josh B. said...

Which is why you're a pastor and not a football player! One of my favorite Rob Bell quotes is (In reference to deciding on a career), "Most people will tell you, 'do what you enjoy the most,' but what if we did what made us angry?" Pretty sure that's not the direct quote, but if by some chance it is, I'll leave the quotes up there!